Monday, July 26, 2010

Yay!! We're Here!

Greetings, parents and others!

After being a bit delayed at the airport in Guatemala City yesterday afternoon (confusion regarding our arrival time), we have arrived at Casa de Esparanza (House of Hope) in Zacapa.  We were all, of course, very weary after our many hours of travel yesterday, but were and are very pumped for what God has in store for us here this week.  We had a quick bite to eat when we arrived at HOH, met some of the staff here, and then, after an amazing "popcorn" prayer, settled in for the night.  We're all in one building - men on one side, ladies on the other, sleeping in bunk beds - with separate facilities for the guys and gals.  There's also a kitchen in our building with "help yourself" breakfast goodies.  We have fans in the building, but suffice it to say IT'S HOT HERE.  Each day starts with personal devotions where we spend about 40 minutes in the Word, reflecting on God and on our work here.  Today the team is working on a construction project - building House #6 - to accommodate more children at House of Hope.  I (Anita) sat in on the kindergarten class at the Oasis School and, of course, fell in love with the kids.  My favorite part of the day was when Javier came in to teach the kids their Bible lesson.  He's a natural-born teacher who is able to engage the students the minute he walks through the door.  You could tell he loved them and they loved him.  I understand Javier has another ministry outside HOH where he dresses up like Superman.  As far as I can tell, he IS Superman!  The construction team was looking mighty weary when I checked in on them and I'm sure they'll be ready for a lunch break soon.  I'm getting lots of photos, but forgot the computer cord for my camera, so you'll have to wait until we're back to see those.  I'll end here with a promise that I'll try to post another update or two while we're here, but I'm using Carolyn's personal computer, so don't know how often I'll feel comfortable imposing.  Rest assured that we are being well cared for here and are most definitely in God's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment